Monday, June 14, 2010

My Heavenly Friend by George Muller

THE PRECIOUS LORD Jesus Christ is our Friend. Oh, let us seek to realize this! It is not a mere religious phrase or statement, but VERILY HE IS OUR FRIEND. He is the Brother “born for adversity,” the One who “sticketh closer than a brother,” who will never leave and never forsake us.
How precious even on earth to have a heavenly Friend, for this brings the joys of heaven in a little degree into our hearts now. And this is just what our heavenly Father desires regarding His children, that they might be as happy as they are capable of being while here in the body. Do we enter into it, that the one who is “altogether lovely” is ready hour by hour to be our Friend, by day and by night to prove Himself to be our Friend?
When we cannot sleep at night, say, “My precious heavenly Friend, wilt Thou give me a little sleep?” When in pain, say, “My precious heavenly Friend, if it may please Thee, wilt Thou take away this pain?—but if not, if Thou seest better that it should continue, sustain, help and strengthen me, my precious heavenly Friend!” When we feel lonely or tired, turn to the precious Lord Jesus: He is willing to be our Friend in our loneliness. I have found it thus. For sixty-two years and five months I had a beloved wife, and now in my ninety-second year I am left alone. But I turn to my precious Lord Jesus as I walk up and down in my room, and say, “My precious Lord Jesus, I am alone, and yet not alone, Thou art with me; Thou art my Friend, now Lord comfort me, comfort me, strengthen me, give to Thy poor servant everything Thou seest he needs.”
Oh! this is a REALITY, not a fable, that the Lord Jesus Christ is our Friend.
And we should not be satisfied till we are brought to this, that we know the Lord Jesus Christ experimentally to be our Friend, habitually to be our Friend. Just ponder this. Habitually, never leaving, never forsaking us, at all times and under all circumstances ready to prove Himself to be our Friend.
And this He is willing not merely to grant for a few months, or a year or two, but to the very end of our earthly pilgrimage. David in Psalm 23, says, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me.” Oh, how precious this!
Now this “LOVELY ONE” is coming again, and soon, soon, soon, may He come again, and then He will take us home, and there we shall be forever with Him. Oh, how precious that bright and glorious prospect! And here again the practical point is, to appropriate this to ourselves. “He is coming to take ME, poor, guilty, worthless, hell-deserving ME,—He is coming to take ME to Himself.”
And in the degree in which we enter into and appropriate to ourselves these glorious things, in that degree the joys of heaven will be commenced already.

No comments: