Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Scriptural Knowledge That Does Not Lead to Prayer is Wrong

"The ultimate test of my understanding of the Scriptural teaching is the amount of time I spend in prayer. As theology is ultimately the knowledge of God, the more theology I know, the more it should drive me to seek to know God. Not to know about Him, but to know Him. ... I may talk learnedly about regeneration, but what is eternal life? It is that they might know Thee, the only true God in Jesus Christ whom God has sent. If all my knowledge does not lead me to prayer there is something wrong somewhere. It is meant to do that. The value of the knowledge is that it gives me such an understanding of the value of prayer, that I devote time to prayer and delight in prayer. If it does not product these results in my life, there is something wrong and spurious about it, or else I am handling it in a wrong manner." ~Martyn Lloyd Jones

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the Lord led me to your blog (through PuritanFellowship.com). You have dug up some worthy gems! Would you mind if I shared some of your posts on my blog, with a link back to yours? May the Lord bless you as you serve to edify the Body of Christ.

Anonymous said...

Good and thought provoking postings. This is where I am now...needing to come away from putting out and taking in time with Jesus. I'm letting go of things as He exposes them, hoping to find more of Him within my life.
thanks sister.